DRESDEN, located in the East of Germany, is also called "Florence at the Elbe", thanks to its idyllic location on the banks of the Elbe river, and its excellent examples of Baroque architecture and world class museums. Although 80% of Dresden´s historic center was destroyed in World War II, all important landmarks have been rebuilt to their former splendor. Almost all of the highlights are in walking distance from each other, located in Dresden´s Old Town.
The Church of Our Lady (Frauenkirche) has a moving history: On the 13th of February 1945, when air-rides wiped out the city center, the grand church collapsed into a 42 feets high pile of rubble. The ruins were left untouched until 1994, when the painstaking reconstruction of the church began.
Almost completely financed by private donations from around the world, the people of Dresden could celebrate the resurrection of their Frauenkirche in 2005. The Bruhl´s Terrace is set between the river Elbe and the Old Town. Also nicknamed "The balcony of Europe", the terraced promenade was part of Dresden´s original rampart. Walk along the promenade, it is lined by some of Dresden´s most beautiful historic buildings, including the Royal Art Academy and the Albertinum Museum. The Zwinger Palace is one of the finest examples of late Baroque architecture. Today the Baroque complex of pavilions and galleries is home to first - class museums, including the Old Masters Gallery, which displays the famous Madonna Sistina of Rafael.
The Semper Opera, built in 1841 by the architect Gottfried Semper. Set at the Theater Square in the heart of Dresden. The procession of Princes (Fuerstenzug) is the largest porcelain mural in the world, depicting a parade of Saxonian princes and dukes to commemorate the 1000 year long reign of the Wettin dynasty. 330 feet long and made out of 25,000 tiles from the porcelain manufacturer Meissen.